One of the most important parts of any overhead garage door system are the garage door tracks. If you’re a homeowner that likes to take maintenance in your own hands, this is the blog for you! Here is some information about garage door tracks and are some maintenance tips:
What are garage door tracks?
Garage door tracks are the metal rails which your garage door travels on when it is opened or closed. These tracks keep your garage door traveling on a set path when the door is opening and closing.
How can garage door tracks get damaged?
Garage door tracks can get damaged in several ways. A car hitting the tracks can bend or break the tracks. In addition, other malfunctioning parts can damage the tracks. For example, if the garage doors rollers are damaged or misaligned, they may damage the tracks every time you raise or lower your garage door. This is why it pays to always be vigilant of the different parts of your garage doors.
In addition, garage door tracks can eventually wear down from use. While most tracks are built to last for years, eventually they will break down and need to be replaced.
How to keep them from getting damaged?
There are several things you can do to keep your garage door tracks from getting damaged:
- Be careful when you drive your car in or out of your garage. Hitting the side of your garage door can damage or misalign your garage door tracks.
- Visually inspect your garage door tracks regularly. Check to see if they are damaged or if there are any obstructions. If necessary, you may need to clean debris or buildup out of the inside of the tracks.
- Visually check all mounting hardware. Make sure that nothing is missing, worn out, or out of place.
- Make sure your tracks are properly aligned by checking the tracks with a level.
- Run your garage door and make sure that it is running smoothly and evenly. If the garage door is jerking in certain places or not moving evenly, there could be problems with the tracks.
- If you see any problems, get your garage door repaired immediately. Ignoring these problems can cause more damage to the tracks and lead to costly repairs.
If you think there are any problems with your garage door tracks, or any other part of your garage door system, contact A1 Door Company today. Our experienced technicians can inspect your garage door, make any repairs, and come up with the best maintenance plan for your garage. We are the #1 garage door experts in Richmond, VA!