At first glance, choosing the right commercial garage doors for your school might not seem challenging. However, when you consider that these doors must withstand harsh weather conditions and lots of traffic every day, things get a little more complicated. To update your school’s infrastructure, you must choose high-quality commercial garage doors that will last. Depending on your budget and specific needs as a school, this might not be an easy task. Consider our seven tips for choosing the right commercial garage doors for your school below.
1. Estimate the Number of Doors You’ll Need
Before you search for commercial garage doors, first make a list of the exact number of doors you’ll need. Depending on your specific needs, there are various types of garage doors from which to choose. For example, a double-wide door for a loading dock is likely different from a standard commercial door for an entrance.
2. Ask Around
If you’re building or renovating your school, you might talk to contractors who have experience installing commercial garage doors in an educational setting. This way, you’ll have a better idea of what to look for and what brands are most reliable.
3. Check Your Location
Since manufacturers design commercial garage doors to withstand harsh weather conditions, you must consider your location before deciding. For example, if you live in an area with lots of snow and rainfall, ensure that the manufacturer has equipped your commercial garage doors to handle these conditions. Likewise, if you’re in a warm climate, find commercial garage doors that can resist extreme heat.
4. Know Your Budget
As with most projects, it’s best to set a budget before you start searching for commercial garage doors. The good news is that there are many different options to choose from, meaning you can likely find what you’re looking for within your budget. Also, your budget will vary depending on the door you choose. For example, insulated steel doors are often less expensive than fiberglass doors.
5. Review the Different Materials Available
As we’ve mentioned, there are many different materials for commercial garage doors. Here are some of the most common materials:
- Steel is one of the most popular materials used in commercial garage doors. It’s highly durable and suitable for harsh weather conditions. It also comes in many variations to choose the best option for your needs.
- Fiberglass is another popular option for commercial garage doors. Fiberglass doors are often less expensive than other materials, such as steel. Although fiberglass is less durable than steel, it’s an excellent option for areas with moderate weather conditions.
- Steel Composite combines steel fibers and synthetic material. Commercial garage doors made from steel composite are often less expensive than other metals but just as durable.
- Aluminum is another excellent option for commercial garage doors. It’s a lightweight material suitable for commercial and residential applications.
6. Take Advantage of Smart Technology
Another critical factor in choosing the right commercial garage doors is using smart technology. For example, garage doors with sensors can monitor environmental conditions and automatically close when raining. Likewise, there are even some commercial garage doors that you can control using an app! Using technology is convenient, but it’s also a great way to increase your school’s safety.
7. Consider all the factors involved in choosing commercial doors
As you can see, there are many factors to consider when choosing the right commercial garage doors for your school. From estimating the number of doors you’ll need to select the most suitable material, choosing the best option for your specific needs is essential. With the help of our seven tips, you can find the perfect commercial garage doors for your school.
Considering commercial garage doors? Talk to a Richmond area garage door expert who can show you a range of options. Contact us at A1 Door Company today.